The Growing Podcast Opportunity
Podcast listening is increasing in several key markets around the world. In the United Kingdom (UK), the number of weekly podcast listeners has almost doubled in the last five years, currently standing at over 5.9m. Especially popular among under 35s, 18.7% and 15.4% of listeners aged 15-24 and 25-34 respectively, listen to podcasts weekly.  In the United States (US), podcast listening is up 48% among Americans under 24 compared to two years ago.  Podcast advertising is one of the most effective ways to reach your target audience. Indeed, 81% of listeners say they sometimes or always pay attention to podcast ads and 60% of podcast listeners have bought something from a podcast ad. Podcasts outperform all other media channels (billboard, print, TV, radio and banner ad) in this respect 
Perhaps the biggest advantage that audio holds over video is depth of content. 93% of people who start a podcast listen right to the end, whereas 46% of people switch off a facebook video after just 3 seconds.  In short, if you want to communicate with an affluent, tech savvy audience, you are missing an opportunity if podcasting is not a part of your communication strategy.
Even if you do not listen to podcasts in your day to day life or they are not popular in your country, you should not ignore the growing audience for this medium in key markets around the world.
Interpreting Wine is one of the world’s premier drinks and hospitality podcasts. Since January 2018, Content Director Lawrence Francis has established a premium content library and a loyal, engaged listener base. Previous guests include Masters of Wine, Master Sommeliers, winemakers and international chefs. Listeners include influential restaurateurs, chefs, bartenders, sommeliers, front of house, sales teams, importers and drinks writers, mainly drawn from the hospitality industry.
Interpreting Wine has received press coverage in Rochester Business Journal, The Guardian, The Drinks Business and Meininger’s Wine Business International.
In 2018 the channel received more than 105,000 listens in 89 countries; the top four countries being: United Kingdom (40%), United States (25%), Canada (4%), Australia (3%).
In 2019 to date, the channel has attracted more than 92,000 listens in 109 countries; the top four countries being: United Kingdom (31%), United States (29%), Ireland (4%), Canada (3%).
Commissioning a podcast series on Interpreting Wine
Enjoys several advantages over trade print publications:
- Listeners receive episodes instantly on their preferred device and numbers can be tracked by location.
- Episodes can go into depth and last upwards of 30 minutes, thereby packing in much more content.
- Podcasting is an intimate channel and listeners create an attachment with the guest and their message.
- A series can often be recorded, edited and broadcast in an expedited timeline and are not bound by an editorial deadline.
Additional advantages over in-person tastings with the trade:
- is infinitely scalable and can be shared hundreds, even thousands of times without an additional time or product cost.
- can be repurposed for offline training and presentations, and as source material for written material, including social media posts, tasting notes and sales presentations.
To discuss in more detail please contact Lawrence on hello [at] interpretingwine [dot] com